Friday, September 17, 2021

Walloon virtual assistant ?

When my aunt and uncle were telling of their trip to Belgium and bringing a group of visiting Belgians around in the 1990's, I was in high school, I seriously considered taking a French class. Back then, area immigration was at a standstill (unlike the last ~20 years), as the last group were the Hmong. I had other interests in tech-ed, so I never persued that idea. And today I could just kick myself. At the time I figured I'd never use it and likely forget what I would have learned. I was also aware there were differences between Walloon and French and figured learning French might lead to some counter productive mixed ideas that "this must be like this etc".

I never envisioned that actual genealogical records would one day be available in their native French form on the internet. The internet wasn't quite a thing back then. So that is where I kick myself today.

There is still a lot of truth to the if you don't use it, you loose it logic. So enter in virtual assistants like Amazon's Alexa. Could this be a way to keep fluent when you don't have anyone to talk to in French or Walloon?

Back in 2012 a bit before these things became more common placed, I did experiment with ASR (auto matic speech recognition), or what some people may refer to as voice recognition. I'm a bit more of a hacker and a coder than a gadget obsessed techno-weirdo, so at the moment I haven't picked up any of these virtual assistants.

But if you could ask Alexa in French what the weather is, I could see some value to this technology.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/2/22088394/amazon-alexa-multilingual-support-italian-german-french-shopping-fire-tv

https://www.engadget.com/2018-06-06-alexa-finally-comes-to-france.html

No comments:

Post a Comment